Cold air is heavier than warm air. Most of us know this…but did you know cold air drives a windmill faster than warm air? Apparently the light breeze we had yesterday wouldn’t have moved the sails of the St Anna windmill in the summer. Instead we had a beautifully spinning windmill. We learnt this and [...]
. . I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein How can we ensure that we nurture the imagination of the next generation? . . .
- We are a multilingual family, not even bilingual, but trilingual. This means we usually have three languages flying around in the house at any one time- English, Hungarian and Dutch. My mother tongue is Hungarian, Oh-so-lovely-Daddy is Dutch and neither of us speaks the other’s language, so we speak English. We met, married and [...]
- Turning off the garden tap I had to jump… because a little green frog jumped out from just beside my hand. I resisted the urge to scream (thinking of having to set a positive example), then quickly summoned the Littlins. They were over joyed that by the sight. Little Man, as always, wanted to [...]
- This is the question Danielle Smith asked on Strollerderby (babbleblogs). And I found myself pondering exactly this same question – “Is it appropriate?”- during the news coverage of the recent horrific events in Norway (the bomb attack in Oslo and shooting spree on Utoeya island claiming 76 innocent lives on 22nd July) : The family was [...]
- Here’s our adventure in keeping chickens thus far: Is that really a Chicken house inside? A heap of wood to be turning into a chicken coup and a small run We are almost there! We can highly recommend Farmer Mike Very happy chicken at New Barn Farm. So who wants to come home with [...]
- Apparently chicken are the 3rd most popular “pet” kept in the UK. As I explained in my previous post, I do love the romantic idea of them pecking away on the scrap heap and producing delicious fresh eggs. …but does it make financial sense? Well, here’s the run down of costs: In preparation for [...]